Friday, September 17, 2004

Rejection

Rejection makes my heart sink. It seemed to pile up a bit yesterday. I distribute a Christian newsletter every month, which carries my column, The Spur. The publisher sends me a bundle and I take them around to medical clinics, hairdressers etc. - anywhere people are sitting and waiting and might have a few minutes to read. I went into a new shop yesterday and the woman refused to let me leave them. Then I went into a dentist's office where I've been dropping them off for the past year, and one of the secretaries came out after me to tell me they no longer want them left there. Sigh. I smiled on the outside, but it left me with a sad heart.
Then I came home from work yesterday to find a couple of critiques on part of my manuscript. They were good critiques but they weren't very complimentary. So it's back to the drawing board.
At least with the ms. I can work on it and improve it. But how do you get people to at least consider Christianity? It seems the doors slam before there is a chance to hear.
The good news is that I know God can break through any barrier. He certainly did it with me. I was a door slammer once. So I guess I'll just pray for those two ladies who don't want to hear. Who knows what God might do?
Have a great day. :)M

2 comments:

Becca said...

I have a habit of assuming that I will get rejection, so why try? I've got to change this attitude, especially since it affects my witness for Christ. My first definitive step: I brought my French Bible to work, to read during my breaks. Maybe there'll be a good conversation out of it. If not, I'll remember that it's not me they reject.

As for the MS, I totally understand. I'm sending cyberhugs to comfort you - sometimes feedback cuts through the writer instead of revealing new insights about the story.

Marci said...

Hi Becca - blessings to you as you bravely venture forth with your French Bible. I take it your co-workers are French-speaking then? There's a woman in our church from NB who's French speaking, and our secretary was born in Quebec but like me has lost most of her French due to lack of use. I can still understand a fair bit, from days of living in Ottawa, but to speak it ... well, I know I'd stumble a lot. Our secretary once suggested we three get together every now and then to try and brush up, but she's a busy lady, I'm a busy lady and our NB friend has four kids! So .. it hasn't happened yet.

Thanks for the cyberhug. Actually the critique was right on and deep down I knew it - it's just that the slap stings a bit at first. :)M