Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Gulp

Oswald asks - "Am I willing to let God do in me all that has been made possible by the Atonement?"

A question not to be answered lightly. And yet, as he says, we long for the answer to be yes. He also says, "stop longing and make it a matter of transaction." Longing to be made holy is like looking at the lifeboat and wanting to get in, but staying on the deck of the sinking ship.

It makes me think of Peter when he leaped out of his fishing boat and walked on the water toward Jesus. He did more than long to be with him, he leaped out of his comfort zone. Peter knew the boat wasn't as safe as standing in the middle of those waves with His Lord. That's total trust. Like Peter, we may get flashes of it, but it always seems to falter. I'm really glad Peter started to sink. Because I know that's what happens to me, but I also know that, like Peter, I can always raise my eyes again to the face of Jesus and see that he is extending his hand out to me, to draw me up again.

That's the kind of reality we need to grasp if we are to give our lives wholly to Christ. Let God do in us all that he intended from the beginning of time - wow - awesome thought. And what has he made possible? That we can live in grace and peace and contentment and love, even as He did. We can become like Him. Awesome thought #2!




4 comments:

Wingsets said...

I also use Oswald Chamber's My Utmost for His Highest as a daily journal. I've read and pondered his writings since my conversion in August 1984 and am always amazed at how he cuts right to the point. At this moment I'm looking at not being able to pay the rent, much less the utilities this month, for the new business my husband and I started in June. After much fasting and prayer, we felt God said "Yes" and now we wonder why we're not flourishing. As I am drowning in self-doubt and wavering faith, I read "Oswald" as we call him (I hope he wouldn't have minded the familiarity) and look up to Jesus as He holds out His hand and I know it will be okay. My Heavenly Father loves me even more than I love my daughter (which is difficult at least to comprehend) and He wants only what is BEST for me. I may not understand this side of heaven, but I can and must trust this side of heaven.

Marci said...

His ways are so often a mystery - and then too, there is the enemy who will work hard at trying to defeat us. Trust isn't easy when we're in that kind of place, but consider the alternative. Praying you will hang on to Him and praying against the enemy's devices.
Blessings to you and your husband. Marci

violet said...

Marci, I read OC most days after the first course (the Bible). This morning was reading in Judges 5 and the word "willingly" and "willing" jumped out at me (vs. 2 & 9). I duly noted this little prod from the Lord in my journal, then pulled out OC and read "willing" in each of the first three sentences and an expansion of the thot in the whole passage. At times like this, one feels at the receiving end of a cosmic nudge. Good thoughts, of yours about this.

Violet

Marci said...

Yes, those cosmic nudges are amazing - and then we get to experience the cosmic click as though a cog has engaged when we act in obedience to His voice. :)