Friday, October 01, 2004

Oswald Chambers ... again

I've been rearranging my office lately. We were given a wonderful large corner desk so we had to redisign the layout. That meant I had to deal with some boxes, cull some books (oh no, not that!) and generally get organized.
As I did so I discovered a journal my daughter bought me a few years ago - it's Oswald Chambers' My Utmost for His Highest - with big pages for writers like me to fill. I've been through this book at least twice before and decided to go through it again. Chambers is one of those writers that hits the nail on the proverbial head time after time. He's thought-provoking, challenging, and convicting.
So - I'm going to post my journal entries - hopefully each day. Hope you enjoy them.

Today's devotional is called the Sphere of Exaltation. Chambers says - "We are not built for the mountains and the dawns and aesthetic affinities, those are for moments of inspiration, that is all. We are built for the valley, for the ordinary stuff we are in, and that' is where we have to prove our mettle."
I find that last sentence encouraging and comforting, to know that we haven't just been plunked down here in the struggle. We were made for it, made for this exact place and time. This lines up with 1 Corinthians 10:13 - we are never tempted beyond what we can bear.
Chambers goes on to talk about the building of character and again it's encouraging to know that what we go through is doing that, even when we don't realize it.
The great joy is in knowing that some day we will be rebuilt - in God's image - and will be with Him forever. Amen!
:)M

No comments: