Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Seeing God through a Pinhole

OC writes - "...if I obey Jesus Christ in the haphazard circumstances, they become pinholes through which I see the face of God ..." (To read the full devotional go to www.gospelcom.net/rbc/utmost)

What an apt image. And how true. I remember when we returned from Papua New Guinea and received word that two of my daughter's friends had been adbucted from a home that was only a few doors away from where we had lived. The girl was gang-raped while the boy was tied to a tree and forced to watch. The horror of it shook me so deeply I found it hard to breath. It was one of those moments when, like a child whose parent has just let her fall, I turned in anger and confusion to rail at God. How could he let it happen? Why didn't he protect them? The thought of that quiet, gentle little 14 year-old going through such a nightmare was more than I could bear and still retain any idea of a loving Father-God.

But I did take a breath, and my heart did return to a normal rate and then I was able to pray. Then I was able to obey and trust. Then the shock and anger and confusion faded and I was left with that pinhole. It wasn't much, but it was enough. I could see that God was still there, still good.

And He was weeping.

No comments: