Thursday, February 24, 2005

Oh Lord, Help

To read today's devotional from My Utmost for His Highest, go here

OC says - "The delight of sacrifice is that I lay down my life for my Friend, Jesus (see John 15:13 ). I don’t throw my life away, but I willingly and deliberately lay it down for Him and His interests in other people. And I do this for no cause or purpose of my own."

This makes me think of Henri Nouwen, a man who left notoriety and "influence" to work among those who didn't know or care who he was. His book on leadership details the growth of humility in him as he made that transition, and the growth of Godliness too. His sole purpose was to get close to Jesus.

My husband and I were just dicussing an elderly saint in our congregation who just went to be with her Lord. She was a prayer warrior par excellence and we kept hearing people say things like, "Who will pray now that Mildred's gone? Who will stand in that gap now?" She wasn't a perfect person. She was fiesty and often cranky as only a woman who's lived a large chunk of her life alone can be, but she was a saint called to pray and pray she did. My husband pointed out that God gave her the opportunity - she was a young widow who never remarried, never had children - just dogs and cats! :) She spent her time wisely.

I'm humbled and in awe of people like this. I realize that each person's route will be different, but when I read about people like Chambers and Nouwen and think of people like Mildred, it drops me to my knees. I'm so far from it, so caught up in my own purposes.

Oh Lord, help!

No comments: