Friday, August 05, 2005

God's Connections

This tale goes back a while. A few years, in fact, when my husband said one day, "I'd like to go to India." To be honest it made me shiver. India. It brings disturbing thoughts to mind - uncomfortable thoughts about crowded streets and unbearable heat, desperate hands reaching and pleading eyes that won't let me sleep.
But God seems to have given us connections.
There's a man over there who considers our church his "home church" in North America. He's been in churches all across Canada and the U.S., but he picked us. We're the winners in that match.
There's a woman who recently wrote in response to one of my columns. I didn't know at first that she lives in India. Surprise surprise.
Bud, the President of our church's Association, goes to India every year. He likes to take pastors with him. He starting talking to my husband about it a few years ago, just after he voiced that simple sentence that made me shiver.
At our last church conference Bud showed some pictures and talked a little about the group he goes with - Partners International. After the presentation, Spence made a bee-line for him just as he was making a bee-line for Spence. They started talking at the same time. Spence was saying, "Put my name down," as Bud was saying, "I think you should go."
Spence wants me to go too. I know what Papua New Guinea did to me, so this was my first prayer - "God. I'm not sure I can handle India."
But then there's a woman who recently wrote in response to one of my columns. I didn't know at first that she lives in India. Surprise surprise. And then I clicked into a website today to check up on an old friend and quess what's on the website - her jounals about a recent trip to India. I had no idea. God did.

So I'm praying again. "God. Help me handle India."

No comments: