Thursday, November 23, 2006

Red on Grey


Woke up a bit late this morning and scurried to get ready to drive my daughter to school, so I didn't notice what was happening outside until I stepped out the door. Then that wonderful silence hit me as large fluffy flakes fluttered from the sky. The world had become white overnight, the grey trees across the road draped and bent under the weight of snow. As we drove to the end of our street, my eye was caught by a flash of red. I caught my breath. There, only a couple of feet from our window, was a large woodpecker with a scarlet crown. We only had a few moments to pause and enjoy the sight, but as we carried on I was aware of how much that flash of red brightened our morning. It was like a gem suddenly unearthed, a spot of colour shining through the dark.
God's word is so often like that for me, too. A gem that shines and brightens my life.
Like this -
"Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the Lord rises upon you. See, darkness covers the earth and thick darkness is over the peoples, but the Lord rises upon you and his glory appears over you."

God is so good! :)M

2 comments:

violet said...

Lovely! Did you take the picture?

Marci said...

No, I can't claim credit for the picture - it's from the web - a freebie from a bird site. But it's exactly like the one we saw. :)M