Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Wedding Day

It all began with green balloons. My middle daughter had ordered them as a surprise for her older sister who was to be married that day. But there was a problem. Someone had to be at the park to meet the balloon lady. My husband and I volunteered.

Three thirty on the afternoon of the wedding found us circling the park to keep the air- conditioning going in our car. Finally a van showed up, filled with six dozen large lime green helium filled balloons. That’s when we discovered how fragile helium balloons are. If they touched the trees they’d pop. If they touched the grass they’d pop. So okay, we’ll just hold onto them. Well, no, if they expand in the heat they’ll pop! We could not fit 72 balloons in our car, so we convinced the balloon lady to wait.

As often happens at weddings, however, things had gotten behind schedule and she finally said she had to leave. So we carefully deposited the balloons on the grass behind a large bush, to keep the wind from blowing them away. Then we sat in our air-conditioned car and guarded them, praying none would pop.

In a little while I saw a young mom with three small children and two dogs heading in our direction. You could tell the moment those kids saw the balloons. They started running. So did their dogs. So did I. They stopped dead when they saw me, giving their mom time to catch up and when I explained we were waiting for the bride and groom, the mom led her brood away. I was thankful both her children and dogs were obedient.

The look on the bride’s face made the wait and the inconvenience all worthwhile. She was totally surprised and delighted and it made their photo shoot a lot of fun. As we drove away I thought, well, that’s what the parents of the bride are for, right? And we were delighted to delight her.

Then I thought about the Lord, when it’s time for Him to come for His bride. I thought about how much he wants to delight us, to take us to His home and love us as only He can. Later that evening, as I watched my new son-in-law wait with great anticipation for the moment when his bride would walk toward him, I thought of how good our God is, to wait so patiently for us, to love us that much. And as joyful as the day was for all of us, I knew it was nothing compared to the joy we will all know on that day when Jesus comes for us.
“And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Now the dwelling of God is with men and he will live with them. They will be his people and God himself will be with them and be their God” (Revelation 21:3).

Come, Lord Jesus, come!



No comments: